Elizabeth V uses 100% pure silk fabric in producing its silk satin sleepwear. We do this for a number of reasons, the least of which is its strength and durability. And it is so easy to care for despite the seemingly fragility of the garments themselves. We test all our fabrics and they can withstand frequent handwashing done the right way.
The general perception that silk is fragile is not correct. Silk, made from the cocoons of silk worms, is naturally strong. In fact, before the advent of nylon silk, natural silk was used as parachute material during World War II. There is a lovely story that has emerged about a group of British women who descended on a downed German plane in order to take the silk parachute for their own use and made knickers out of it (read the article here).
Silk does lose some of its strength when wet so care must be exercised when washing the garments to avoid damaging the silk fibres. All our Elizabeth V silk garments are handwashable although we do recommend dry cleaning on some of the larger pieces, such as the Alice robe, due to their sheer size and volume when wet.
Although there are other silk specific washing liquids available we highly recommend Sericare Silk Cleanser and Conditioner.
Sericare is an extremely good product. It is non-alkaline, very gentle and effective, and as a bonus, is kind to the environment! As it is the ethos of Elizabeth V to support local manufacturing, it is gratifying that the one product we endorse is made here in South Australia by a small local company.
Some important reasons to use Sericare are:
- Made from natural ingredients and is phosphate free
- Is non-alkaline and non-acidic, therefore pH neutral
- Is excellent for washing woolens as well.
- Has excellent stain removing properties so can be used undiluted on stubborn spot stains. It can also be used as a pre-wash.
- Has a unique formula which replaces the natural oils in the silk fibres.
- Reduces ironing time.
We have used Sericare constantly to care for our personal silks over the last several years and therefore speak from experience in saying that our Elizabeth V silk satin sleepwear have retained their lustre, softness and tactility, despite frequent wearing and handwashing.
You can purchase Sericare from the following online stores:
- Tessuti online fabric shop ($16.40 + postage) - http://www.tessuti-shop.com/products/sericare-silk-wash
- Homestead Direct ($15.95 + postage) - http://www.homesteaddirect.com.au/sericare-silk-cleanser-conditioner-p-8105.html